Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The God Gene???

A God gene? Could there be such a thing? A researcher in Maryland thinks 'yes'. Dr Dean Hamer, Ph.D., has discovered a gene called VMAT2 that comes in two forms. One of those forms may help us to experience transcendent occurrences, like feeling the presence of God. VMAT2 controls feel-good chemicals, like serotonin & dopamine. Dr. Hamer thinks that this same family of chemicals prime us for religious experiences. Dr. Hamer estimates that about 50% of people have the God gene.

I've been searching for God, spiritual connectedness, the Truth, the 'I don't know what really', for as long as I can remember. I don't know why I do & I have no I idea where or when my fascination with the Divine began. I only know that its always seemed to be there. Could it be possible that I am just genetically predisposed to search for God?

If there is a God gene, what could it be for? Genes are all business. There's no fun or just because when it comes to genes, not really. Each one has a task, a function. They don't just exist, they all have a required purpose. Dr. Hamer theorizes that just as our instincts for reproduction & food sustain our species, maybe those individuals with the God gene have an advantage in the whole survival of the fittest racked.
Studies have shown that being religious can improve overall health. People who worship in some form have better functioning immune systems & are 40% less likely to have high blood pressure. God it seems is the ultimate destressor. Besides making you healthy, it can also help to keep you on the straight & narrow, which can keep you safer. Faith encourages social & cultural interactions that can help people form bonds. It also induces optimism, which is proven to help people live longer.
Now the research also concludes that there is no specific religion or creed that works best. Mulling over a strand of prayer beads, sitting quietly & reading the Quran, or hunkering down in Lotus, all seem to have the same benefits. If done mindfully. Its the purpose behind the action that seems to carry all the benefits. So if you think you can just haul your sorry ass to church once a week & live longer, you're shit outta luck.
In fact meditation, one of the most purposeful forms of spirituality has an overload of benefits. And is not restricted to 'OM' chanting yoga gurus. I learned about meditation from my great-grandmother, who would, twice a day sit in her rocking chair & completely zone out on her rosary. (Maybe a coincidence, but she also lived to be 98 & was without a doubt sharper & stronger then I've ever been). Its actually proven that meditation makes people smarter. Areas of the brain responsible for decision making, planning & other high level activities don't seem to deteriorate with age in long term mediators. It can also give a person all the pick me ups of a mid-day nap. 40 minutes in Lotus is the equivalent of 4-5 cups of joe. No wonder Buddha is always smiling.
I don't know why I search for God. If it's genetic or not. I don't even know if there is anything to find. I may be completely off course. And there may be nothing behind the curtain except giant dust balls. But if I am wrong, where's the harm?
I do know that my search has managed to keep me on the straight & narrow. I'm safe & healthy. It has often given me purpose & meaning in times when I was in desperate need of them. It's offered me direction at more then one fork. I don't have high blood pressure, even though it runs in my family. I sleep like a log & people say I'm not too dumb. I tend to take life in stride, with some inner believe that it all really does work out in the wash. And until someone proves me wrong, such is life. It won't be the first time I've been wrong. But it may be the first time I wouldn't mind being wrong. Because in this case its really not the right or wrong of it that matters. But only did it improve my life? Did it effect my character?
Here's to the good fight & the mindful search.


True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.
-Albert Einstein