Saturday, December 02, 2006

Check Mate?

This just in: The World Chess Federation has decided to introduce dope testing. Chess + Dope testing !!!Testing for what exactly, Gingo Bilobo? I don't think there is a steroid out there that enhances brain activity. I'm not a scientist, I've run no tests. I do however go to the gym. Therefore I do interact with these neck less buffoons. And as bad as I am at chess, I'd wagger I could take anyone of them. I could kick their ass, at chess, or checkers, or even snakes & ladders.
The WCF is hoping that the testing will help to raise the international standards of the 'sport' (a term I use loosely) & hopefully help to make chess an Olympic sport in the future.
I'm sorry, no offense to chess players. I know its an extremely difficult game. It takes a lot of mental agility to play chess... & win. I know, I have a nephew who's been beating me since he was seven. However, that said, if chess ever becomes an Olympic sport, I will boycott the Olympics. I mean really. Table tennis is embarrassing enough.
(Side note, the IOC is also looking to recognise tug of war, yes you heard me, TUG OF WAR. A game you can play with your dog & a chew toy. But at least that's physical).
The Olympics is not a forum for mental competition. It is a test of physical strength & endurance. Hence, ancient Greece, the gladiators, the Adonis. They weren't sitting around playing chess, at least not in the arena. Maybe at home in their spare time, on the porch with the neighbour.
Are they trying to make a mockery out of the entire Olympic spirit? Well, at least I'll still have the winter Olympics, minus curling of course.